NAVC Normal Curves (NEVC translated/corrected)
Please read the following message before continuing:
The data here is Ernst Antevs’ (1922, 1928) original New England Varve Chronology (NEVC, NE varve years) translated to the new North American Varve Chronology (NAVC, AM varve years). In 2010 the whole chronology was reformulated with the new AM numbering system, still beginning at varve year 2700 as with Antevs’ NEVC. If you want the original NEVC in the northeastern U.S. go to the NEVC download, but remember there are a few errors in this sequence that have been corrected by the NAVC and the old NEVC has two separate sequences. There is also a table and program available for converting single years between the two sequences at NEVC/NAVC conversion
The NAVC varve sequences are available here for download with recent corrections of the old NEVC and the renumbering of varves to the NAVC system (AM varve years). Individual varve sequences can be downloaded: 1) from the varve file menu, 2) from a map showing their geographic location (area from which varve sections were measured to produce the varve sequence), or 3) from a timeline. You also have the option of downloading a folder with all of the files. The downloadable data files are all ASCII text files as described below in the menu. For links to other varve sequences and records in the northeastern U.S. and adjacent Canada that are not part of the NAVC go to Additional N. American Outcrop/Core Records.
- Download by Filename
- Download from Map
- Download from Timeline
All files are ASCII text files assembled with AM varve year (1st column) and couplet thickness in centimeters (2nd column). Comments related to corrections that were made to the old NEVC are in the 3rd column. All numbers sited in descriptions of data files below are AM (NAVC) varve years. AM varve years run from low number (older) to high number (younger). Right-click on any of the links in blue below and choose "save file as..." or " save link as..." to download the desired file. Those links that are named XXXXfolder are .zip archives which contain the associated text files. You must uncompress these files using 7zip (free), winzip (fee) or the integrated Windows or Mac decompression utilities.
All items below are links to individual NAVC data files, none more than 22 KB in file size.
Hudson Valley, NY
- HUD27-30AM.TXT 2700-2927, Newburg, NY, HARTFORD A1-A2 plots of Antevs (1928)
- HUD29-32AM.TXT 2900-3171, Newburg, NY, HARTFORD A2-A3 plots of Antevs (1928)
- HUD55-59AM.TXT 5520-5815, Hudson Valley, NY, NY 13-14 plots of Antevs (1922). Note: An error was found in Antevs’ (1922) original NEVC varve sequence when it was matched to the varve records from cores in the Connecticut Valley at UMass Amherst (UMass core) and at North Hatfield, Mass. (NHT core). NAVC varve AM 5691 now includes the consolidation of flood events that were originally counted as separate varves by De Geer (as reported in Antevs, 1922). The floods were created in the Hudson Valley during one year by the release of water in a lake in the Mohawk Valley. For more information see NAVC Today and also Forming the NAVC–NEVC Corrections.
Lower Connecticut Valley, CT, MA, southern NH and VT
- CON28-32AM.TXT 2868-3122, Conn. Valley, HARTFORD B2-B3 plots of Antevs (1928), missing 2892-2895
- CON30-39AM.TXT 3002-3884, Conn. Valley, CONN 1-5 plots of Antevs (1922) and corrections as HARTFORD C3 plot of Antevs (1928)
- MAS34-37AM.TXT 3457-3633, Conn. Valley, MA, MASS 3-4 plots of Antevs (1922)
- MAS37-53AM.TXT 3780-5238, Conn. Valley, MA, MASS 4-12 (lower graph) plots of Antevs (1922)
- MAS51-56AM.TXT 5099-5519, Conn. Valley, MA., MASS 11-13 (upper graph) plots of Antevs (1922)
- MAS52-56AM.TXT 5259-5529, Conn. Valley, MA., MASS 12-13 (lower graph) plots of Antevs (1922)
- LCA54-57AM.TXT 5457-5618, Conn. Valley, southern NH, NH 13 plot of Antevs (1922)
- LCB57-63AM.TXT 5728-6292, Conn. Valley, NH and VT, VT 14-15 and VT-NH 16-17 (lower graph) plots of Antevs (1922)
Ashuelot Valley, NH
- ASH58-59AM.TXT 5819-5894, Ashuelot Valley, Keene, NH, NH 15 (upper graph) plot of Antevs (1922)
Merrimack Valley, NH
- MER57-64AM.TXT 5724-5764, 5786-6367, Merrimack Valley, NH, NH 14-15 and NH-VT 16-17 (upper graph) plots of Antevs (1922)
Upper Connecticut Valley, Northern NH and VT
- UCB62-64AM.TXT 6284-6345, Conn. Valley, NH and VT, VT-NH 18 (lower graph) plot of Antevs (1922)
- UCA63-75AM.TXT 6325-6571, 6587-7432, Conn. and Passumpsic Valleys, NH and VT, VT-NH 18-21 plots of Antevs (1922) and VT 22-23 plots of Antevs (1928)
- UCC65-68AM.TXT 6541-6755, Conn. Valley, NH and VT, VT-NH 19-20 (upper graph) plots of Antevs (1922)
Winooski and Lamoille Valleys, VT
- WMP67-70AM.TXT 6741-6970, Winooski and Lamoille Valleys, Montpelier to Waterbury, VT, VT 20-21 plots of Antevs (1928)
The map below has links that allow you to download the individual varve sequences of the NEVC according to the location or section of a valley where varves were measured to create the sequence.
The timeline below has links that allow you to download the individual varve sequences of the NEVC according to age. The plot shows how the different sequences of the NEVC overlap in time.